What to do when your dog gets stung
I have to admit that before I began this website, I had never heard of a dog getting an anaphylactic reaction from a bee sting. Since then, however, many people have reported severe allergic responses in their dogs. Today, Emily Wilson of DesirablePuppy shares some of her expertise. Thank you, Emily.
If you have ever seen a dog get stung by a wasp or bee and suffer an allergic reaction, then you have no doubt it can be scary. But how was your dog to know that chasing bugs was a no-no? However, if this happens, the best course of action is to NOT panic.
Reasons why dogs get stung
Dogs are usually fascinated by insects. They like to stalk and observe various bugs that move cross their turf. Whereas many dogs enjoy chasing insects around the backyard, some insects can do serious damage, namely the stinging insects such as bees or wasps. Unfortunately, most stings occur when the insect feels threatened. Our dogs are funny and cute to us, but to a hornet, wasp, or bee, they are terrifying.
Most dogs suffer stings to their paw, face or even the inside of their mouth. The stings occur when a rambunctious dog chases a bee, snaps at a hornet, or digs an underground wasp nest. Often, inquisitive dogs get stings which can be painful and life-threatening. Multiple stings in the throat or mouth are especially dangerous.
Signs that your dog has been stung include whining, hives, drooling, pawing at the eyes or face, and facial swelling. When this happens, don’t hesitate to seek veterinary advice on how to sedate your dog.
As in humans, it’s impossible to tell which dogs will simply learn a painful lesson, and which ones will have a serious allergic reaction. Anaphylaxis, a severe and life threatening allergic reaction may occur quickly, and the speed of your treatment can make all the difference. The signs of anaphylaxis include difficulty breathing, collapse, and swelling of the throat.
Things to do when the dog gets stung
1) Remove the stinger
You should use the fingernail or even a rigid cardboard piece so as to force out the stinger. If it is possible, always avoid using forceps or tweezers because pinching this stinger might force more venom into the dog.
2) Ease the sting pains
A weak mixture of baking soda and water applied to affected areas can help to reduce the pain. Applying an ice pack that’s wrapped in a towel might also help in alleviating pain and swellings. Make sure you don’t contact your pet’s skin with an uncovered ice pack.
3) Watch for a reaction
Some dog species are more allergic to ant and bee stings. As such, you should know how to keep ants away from dog food to avoid
such stings. Allergic reactions could be fatal, so always look out for signs like general weakness, swellings away from the bee sting site, and difficulty breathing. If the above symptoms occur, ensure that you call your veterinarian and let him know the situation of your dog.
4) Go to your vet
If your dog exhibits allergic reactions, has been stung several times, or has been stung in the throat or mouth, you should take him to your vet immediately. There are some serious signs such as heavy breathing, shortness of breath, and pale skin that require a veterinary professional. At the laboratory, based on the reaction of your dog, the veterinarian will stabilize your dog and perform an examination.
Tips to keep your dog from being stung
While it is impossible to keep wasps and bees from flying into your backyard, you can help prevent future bee stings by doing a few things such as keeping the dog away from your flower beds where bees like to collect nectar and pollen.
Check the eaves round your homestead to make sure that you aren’t unknowingly playing host to wasp nests and bee hives. If you install wasp traps, ensure that they’re hung high enough so that children and pets cannot reach them.
Also training a dog the basic “come” and “stay” command can be useful in ensuring he doesn’t stray into dangerous bee and wasp territories.
Some final advice
Make sure that you check the pets’ water bowls on a regular basis. Wasps and bees can drown inside these bowls, but their stingers will still be capable of doing damage to dogs that decide the insect can be a tasty snack! Remember, preventative measures can actually make a very big difference to your dog, and also prevent medical emergencies and big vet bills.
If you like this article, let’s share it with your friends.
About the Author:
Emily is the founder of DesirablePuppy, where she writes about foodstuff as well as best products for dogs and lots of small tips on training dogs. Moreover, DesirablePuppy is designed to share her passion with dog owners and help to keep you in the know about your best friend.